Senior Software Engineer
Location: WTC MELBOURNE, Australia About Thales Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar. We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities. About Our Site Our Melbourne CBD site is home to over 500 employees working across our Air Traffic Management, Vehicles & Tactical Systems and E-Security businesses. A modern, new office with amazing views of the Yarra river, we are only a 5 minute walk from Southern Cross railway station and Tram stop. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants in and near the building and childcare facilities at Thales discounted prices. We have bike racks and shower facilities available and offer 10% off your yearly Myki card subscription. Our Opportunity OneSKY is a game-changer for Australia’s airspace. The project will unify Australian skies under a new, harmonised air traffic management system. This will enable a new level of safety and efficiency, while also reducing delays for the travelling public and providing opportunities to improve environmental outcomes. It will be the catalyst for better connectivity to underpin Australia’s sustainable growth into the future. OneSKY will transform Australia’ sky and we are proud to be partners in its delivery. As such, we are looking to engage two Principal Software Engineers (Senior Software Engineers) to join our team in Melbourne in newly created positions! Responsibilities
- To lead a small team of software engineers which is assigned to a component(s) of our TopSky software program
- Mentor and coach our software engineers
- Provide technical leadership for all software phases (specifications, design, code and testing) in a critical safety development context for complex tasks (eg complex logical & numerical algorithms, performance issues; external interfaces).
- Engineering/computer science degree along with significant experience in Backend Software Development (Java8) of real time and distributed systems in Air Traffic, Rail, Marine, Aviation or related industries
- Ideally you will have significant experience working in software development within a critical safety environment on large scale and distributed systems
- Experience leading/mentoring small teams would be great together with previous experience using Java. Scrum/Agile not a must but highly desirable.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: