Operations Director, Vts
Thales Australia Limited
Sydney Olympic Park, NSW
Location: Sydney, Australia
About ThalesThales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we solve complicated problems by combining our experience in the market with our leading research and development capabilities.
About Our SiteThales employs nearly 4,000 people over 35 sites in Australia, with over 1600 people employed in NSW alone. Sydney Olympic Park is the head office for Thales Australia, and hosts teams from our Corporate functions, Maritime and Land businesses. Centrally located close to public transport and parking, Sydney Olympic Park is a growing business, sports and entertainment centre with a number of lunchtime social activities and green spaces to enjoy. We encourage discussions around flexible working arrangements to suit the needs of our people and business.
Thales is a strategic industrial partner of major Defence operations around the world. In Australia the Vehicles and Tactical Systems (VTS) business is diverse and operates across 20+ sites employing 1600 people. The Production Centres manufacture products that span chemicals and energetic materials, a range of munitions, small arms weapons systems, and vehicles. The Service Centres provide logistics support, supply chain management and Maintenance, Repair, Overhaul and Upgrade services for weapon, vehicle and electro-optic systems. In addition, there is a stand-alone EO logistics business operating Australia-wide serving the Australian Defence Force. VTS is entering a significant period of transformational change to improve competitiveness and achieve growth.
We are currently seeking applications for an experienced Director of Operations, who will lead operation activities across all Production and Service Centres for our VTS business. This role reports to the Vice President of VTS Australia.
As the Director of Operations, you are accountable for leading the VTS Operations function with an emphasis on:
- Manufacturing operations, MROU services operations
- Supply chain improvement and management.
- LEAN and Industry 4.0 initiatives
- HSE, Facilities management and Quality management
- Ensuring Customer & Programme Delivery by overseeing daily operations and the work of operations management, including workload analysis, recommending solutions for improvement
- Designing, planning, implementing and managing VTS competitiveness and performance strategies, plans and procedures
- Setting comprehensive objectives for business competitiveness, growth and success to maximise operational efficiency and productivity
- Providing and driving a clear, SBP and MTIP-aligned road-map
- Reporting VTS operations outputs against appropriate KPIs and best practice
- Building and maintaining relationships with all VTS leaders, external key partners, and suppliers to make decisions regarding operational activity and strategic goals
- Second in charge (2IC) role to assist the VP Land in the supervision of the day-today running of the business, involved in preparatory work and analysis for high level topics
By nature, you will have a bias for action, be proactive, dynamic and personable. In addition, you will have:
- Leadership experience gained in Operations with financial accountability in a global Industrial FMCG or Manufacturing company
- Proven track record of successful development and execution of operating plans across multiple disciplines, ensuring collaboration and cooperation among key stakeholders
- Deep financial and analytical skills: you use data to manage operating performance, make decisions and anticipate future outcomes
- Experience building, leading and managing high-performing teams
- Proven experience driving transformation plans that lead to significant improvements operationally and financially
- Managerial courage – Willingness to challenge the thinking of others when dealing with business issues exploring options and inspiring action that leads to improved business outcomes
- Must be able to move easily between strategic outlook and a hands-on, operations-focused
- Proven experience applying LEAN/Continuous Improvement
- Strong interpersonal skills, clear and engaging communicator
- Strategic and innovative thinker who can develop and articulate a clear understanding of the organisation’s strategy from all perspectives and find creative solutions to complex operational challenges
Special Requirements: As a Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain an appropriate clearance.
You will also need to successfully clear a pre-employment medical and police check.At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: