Utility Shift Operator (C)
Alice Springs, NT
Requisition/Vacancy No. 225263BR Job Category Craft/Trade Job Summary AECOM has an opportunity for a Utilities Shift Operator at our facility in Alice Springs, Australia. The Utilities Shift Operator is part of a small team responsible for the 24/7 operation and provision of critical utilities, including prime power and cooling water systems. Responsibilities of this position also include accurate record keeping and log taking over a variety of equipment including air, fuel, oil, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) and chilled water systems, as well as high voltage, low voltage and site power distribution. Part of this position is also a clear and concise understanding of all site critical systems and the ability to add or isolate any of the equipment with no impact to the Mission. The responsibilities of the Utilities Shift Operator include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor individual operating equipment for proper operations.
- Know how to safely start and stop equipment, and bring on-line and off-line.
- Know how to configure and manage the power system to meet the dynamic load demands considering the design and operational requirements.
- Know how to reconfigure the distribution system safely around failure events.
- Understand US power standards as well as breakers and transformer sizes.
- Understand and know the operating capacities and characteristics of all equipment.
- Know how to monitor and control equipment using remote digital controls and PLC systems.
- Perform routine log checks and inspections on equipment.
- High voltage switching and equipment isolation.
- Site water treatment and chemical dosing.
- Provide operators knowledge and training support to new shift operators
- Provide incident/event reports to Management as a priority.
- Provide general reports as required and use computer systems to record and plan work tasks.
- Operate the JDFPG call center and coordinate work out of normal hours.
- Provide a first make good response to events.
- Undertake maintenance and duties as required.
- Act as Utilities Shift Lead as required.
- If required on a rare occasion, work as day personnel to undertake maintenance duties.
- Call out support, as required, to maintain minimum manning levels and mission support.
- Other duties as directed by the Utilities Shift Lead.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Positive Vet (TSPV) Department of Defence Security Clearance.
- Australian Citizenship.
- Trade Qualification: Electrical or Mechanical.
- Trade Licences: Relevant for actual Trade.
- Current NT Driver's Licence.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience, and understanding of PLC monitoring and control systems.
- Demonstrated experience in working with and maintaining diesel generators, industrial electrical systems or chilled water systems.
- Demonstrated experience in medium and low voltage distribution systems.
- Work well as part of a dedicated team.
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to respond to a critical failure or event in a calm and methodical manner.
- Ability to work on a 12-hour rotating shift in a professional manner with minimal supervision.
- Understanding and commitment to the principles of workplace diversity and equity, and EH&S.
- The ability to multi-skill across areas such as power generation and distribution, HVAC, Water Treatment.
- HV Operator/recipient training/Certificate.
- EWP license
- Forklift license
- Certificate IV in Power Generation, or equivalent
- Training in appropriate safety procedures (i.e.Confined Space Entry, Working at Heights, Personal Protective Equipment, Fire Extinguisher, Lockout/Tagout, Working in Trenches, etc.).
- Microsoft Office Suite knowledge.
- Commitment to self-improvement with the focus on qualifications/skills update and contemporary industry practices.
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: